Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A Story to Share

A single, thirty-something man who has traveled throughout the U.S., served in Iraq, and continues serving as an army reservist is the subject of my blog. From prior conversations I know that he’s proud to be an army reservist, but I don’t know what motivated him to join the army. Ian returned from Iraq four years ago with his usual optimism, which included plans for his future. Those plans have not materialized. Although Ian has experienced low points, his family and friends have provided a strong support system.
Currently taking classes at a local college, Ian also works part-time. I’m not sure if he has returned to school for a degree or to take a few courses that will help him in a new career. Despite the fact that we live in the same neighborhood, I have limited knowledge of this man, particularly his early years.
My goal is to interview Ian and persuade him to share some of his background.  Who has been most influential in his life?  How did that person make a difference? What has been his biggest personal struggle? Who has helped him through difficult times?
Once Ian shares his past, I’ll have a better sense of who this man is. I can then continue to probe, asking about the present and future. What’s most important to Ian today?  What does he fear most and what are his hopes?  If his story leans toward his time in Iraq, I’ll ask about his decision to join the army – when and why? Did his time in Iraq affect his opinions or values? If not, I’ll follow his answers to discover more about him. I know he has a story to share.

1 comment:

  1. Judy,

    You clearly know a lot about Ian already and are reflecting on those things before meeting with him which is good. I think you should let him lead the conversation a bit more, especially toward the beginning, until he gets comfortable.

    ReplyDelete